Defining your business goals is to have a clear vision of what you hope to achieve with your venture and how you plan on going about it. You may find yourself going round and round in circles if you don’t plot a route which is almost certain to end in disappointment and destroy your confidence.
When you sit down and brainstorm you must try and establish attainable goals meaning they must be realistic otherwise frustration is sure to kick in and you won’t get your idea off the ground.
- Working towards something specific will keep you centered and focused.
- Being able to measure your progress will keep your confidence level up
The first question I think you need to ask yourself is why you want to become an Administrative Consultant to begin with. Is it a career change? Do you want financial independence and be your own boss? Will this be a full time venture or do you need the extra income to supplement your current job? These questions are fundamental as they will determine exactly how much time you will be able to dedicate to your new business and also how you must calculate your budget, service fees, expected income etc.
Try answer the following questions to suit your personal circumstances and see where they lead you:
- What is involved in starting my own business?
- What do I hope to accomplish?
- When do I hope to accomplish it by? Set yourself deadlines to work towards.
- What skills and resources do I have that will allow me to succeed?
- Where do I see myself in one to five years time?
- Will I expand my business at some point, hiring other Virtual Assistant’s?
By carefully thinking through these questions and others similar you’re off to a great start in becoming an Administrative Consultant.
I think you’ll all agree with me that the main thing to bear in mind when starting off is to STAY MOTIVATED. Don’t be discouraged at the tiniest set back. If this is really what you want to do then push through the obstacles that stand in your way but at the same time be realistic about your expectations. Set business goals to map the journey you wish to take. Success is just around the corner!
NOTE: Even though this post is initially oriented towards the Administrative Consultant industry, the information applies across the board.